You know that saying, “don’t judge a book by its cover?” Unfortunately for home sellers, most home buyers are quick to judge a house by its exterior. It’s can be one of the quickest ways to weed out homes that are less desirable in the sea of for-sale signs. We don’t want your home to end up on that list, so we have come up with the top tips for upping your curb appeal game, on a budget!
Keep a Well-Maintained Yard
- Mowing: the first step to a well-manicured lawn is to mow it regularly. Make sure to not cut it too short, and keep your blade sharp to give it the healthiest appearance.
- Weeds: always pull weeds from their roots. After that, mulch over where they used to be to prevent light from getting to the seeds.
- Feeding: Without extra nutrients, grass turns pale and thin. Weed seeds and moss thrive in these low nutrient conditions.
- Watering: Be careful not to overwater! Most lawns need to be watered once a week.
- Flowers: You can quickly and affordably dress up your yard with colorful pre-made flower pots and containers.
Dress Up the Front Porch
- Paint: A fresh coat of paint can give your home a well-deserved facelift. Try a bold color to really make it stand out!
- House Number: Update your number(s) to something bigger and more creative. Explore options or mix-and-match.
- Decor: Windchimes and/or market lights across your front porch give the front of your home an inviting and warm look.
- Hardware: Replace any hardware that is outdated or remove rust with a polisher.
- Plants: Hanging plants in planters or having them stagger your front steps will make your porch look and feel lively and well-maintained.
Make sprucing up the front of your home a weekend project right before you sell. With a few of these quick and inexpensive changes, the exterior of your home will stand out among the rest.
Read more tips on selling your home here, or visit our Pinterest for home inspiration inside and out!